Wednesday, March 21, 2012

First Day of School; Blessing teachers & sponsor children!

March 13th & 14th have a few missing pieces to the puzzle of our adventure here in Uganda that are near and dear to my heart. Just a note explaining why; Part 1: When I visited F.O.H. school in 2010, I was appalled at how little the teachers had to teach their children. A teacher myself, I resolved to help this situation the next time I came to the school. Part 11: When Paul & Pam visited Fairview in the fall of 2011, I asked if it would be possible for me to stay in a village hut for a night. He said, "Sure, I can arrange that." So here are the missing pieces to our puzzle. Sorry it took so long to post this, no electricity and other extenuating circumstances complicated the process. Yours truly, Debbie Whiteneck.

PART I: FOUNTAIN OF HOPE SCHOOL

Sam is a member of the Dove Voice Band and has been out of school for two years. He was enrolled in Fountain of Hope School Tuesday, Mar. 13th  in Senior 1. In this picture he is trying on his official school shirt. Doesn't he look smart!!! God's blessings to you as you reach for the goal of being the number one student Sam!!



 Science teacher Agree and Sarah Sityo received a tote full of teacher supplies including magnifying glasses, prisms, glass blocks, rulers, paper cutters, school bags, scissors, paper clips, and much more. We also sent 6 new soccer balls for the school children!

Melvena and I were introduced by Sarah Sityo to the classes that were not taking exams. We told about ourselves and then entertained questions from the students. Oh yes, Sarah told them she was from America also. They did not believe her much!
                                     
                                   
Senior High School Students

Primary School Students- notice the older, wooden building. Plans are to replace them with solid structures like the high school.

Melvena was caught in a sea of primary students on lunch break on our way to another building. I've been telling her, "Just wait until we go to Fountain, you will be swarmed like you've never been swarmed before." Well it happened and happened quickly!

Remember my statement before the church that I wanted to continue my short prayer of  "Surprise me God"? Well, on the last flight to Entebbee, I got to know the lady in the seat beside me. She is a teacher who is giving her life to helping Ugandan teachers become self-sufficient in their classrooms by using the natural  materials God has given them to make classroom supplies. She told me of their center around Kampala and of one project they teach them to make. I took notes and when I had the opportunity, with the help of Peter & Geofrey, found the materials and had 12 pocket charts made and presented them to Sarah Sityo. Isn't our God awesome!


SPONSOR CHILDREN & GIFT DELIVERY

This is Amanda Wiens' sponsor child, Mary. She loved everything you sent Amanda! Especially the talking baby doll!

We brought many bibles and Paul Hunter wanted Sera Kasonga's sponsored boy Gian to have one.

The two children above are sponsored by Deena & Gaige Craighead. I'm telling them about the monetary gift they sent and reading a letter from Gaige to Janet. They said, "Thank you for loving us so much Deena and Gaige."


This is my sponsor child Shakira. She was not at the school the first day we came because she was home sick with Typhoid Fever. Last summer she was sick with Malaria. She returned to school on the Sunday before this visit. We are standing in the new girls boarding house where we just put her new bed sheets, blanket, pillow and storage trunk on her bunk. I found out she has to share the bed with her sister because it is so crowded. Robert Sityo tells us they are going to switch the boys and girls and let the girls have the larger building. Maybe Shakira and her sister will get their own beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment