Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shakin, Paintin, & Shopin

Wow! What a wonderful day we had again, and may I say we have a powerful God. Our morning started out a little different than usual. The majority of us where woken by a small earthquake around 6:30 and a rain storm. It just goes to prove that God is always showing us how powerful and present He is. Once we all got around after a great breakfast, prepared by chefs Jodi and Dawn, we had an awesome devotional given by Brenda about us looking at what we have now and acting on it in the way God would want us to. After her words of wisdom, it was then time for us to head out for the day. The men took on a big adventure in going to Kampala and searching for a van to buy for Next Generations. I think they would all have to say it is completely different trying to buy a vehicle here than in America; however, they do feel like they are making progress. The women, plus Byron, left to Bukeeka to Fountain of Hope schools to continue on with our painting process. For the majority of us, this was the first time we got to ride Bodas. Byron looked like a pro riding the boda plus holding a 5 gallon paint jug.

We had a great time painting and spending time with Sarah Sityo. She even got in on some of the painting. Our magaga (boss), Jodi showed Sarah how to paint. She was so excited to get to take part in the painting process. It is already amazing how great the classrooms are looking. I can't wait to see the finished project.
Even though it was a hard day of work we still found time to have fun. I am really enjoying getting to know everyone and seeing all there quirky sides.


One of the biggest challenges that we have come to face is seeing how much we take for granted in our comfy lives. During our lunch time, we had the opportunity to walk around and see how the children's lunch hour went on a daily basis. Everyday there lunch consists of posho (maze porridge); if you are able to pay for your lunch then you are lucky enough to get beans on your posho. Here is a picture of two boys who aren't lucky enough to have the luxury of getting beans with there meal.

Everyday God is showing me and everyone else just how much we take for granted in our lives and how we need to be thankful for all He has given to us. I am so excited to see what else God has in store for us in the days to follow. (Posted by Sara)



4 comments:

  1. Did you all get any pictures of the van shopping or was that prohibited? Sounds like you are making progress with the painting. Glad to see the pictures and progress. Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definately humbles you when you see how little they get on a daily basis with no changes from day to day and how grateful they are to get it. I am glad you are getting the painting done and so happy Sarah got in on the action. Way to go Sarah!! Give her hugs from me please! Bless all of you for your work at the school! Love, Deb Whiteneck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot is happening. I really wish I were there to see it all. I am sometimes embarrased by all the things I think I need when I see what thay are very content with. It is so humbeling. Cant wait to hear what happens next.
    Elton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Sara! It's great to be reminded of our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world. Can't wait for Heaven to meet them all! Auntie M:)

    ReplyDelete