1. What made you decide to go to Uganda in February?
When the Hunters were here in August with their guests from Uganda, I was busy "doing ministry" and didn't get a chance to interact and learn from them. A few weeks later I heard chatter that there could be a group going to Uganda. Then I saw the sign up sheet that said the trip would possibly be going in April or May. I wrote our names down saying we were interested if it was January or February. I told Elton I put our names on the interested list and his reaction was "I've always wanted to do that!" I have had a desire that we could find a ministry we could work in together and I thought, "if he wants to do it, I'm in!" Next thing I knew, Randy called and said the trip was scheduled for February. I knew then it was God's Plan for us to go. So we jumped in blindly, having no idea what to expect.
2. What do you plan on doing while you are in Uganda?
Originally I thought I would find something to do to help with Agriculture in Uganda. When I researched it, I realized they don't grow crops that I know anything about so MY plan wasn't going to work. All along I thought I needed to do something unique to Uganda, something I couldn't do close to home. Otherwise, what's the point in going half way around the world? As time has passed I have learned so much about being open to God's plan and trusting that He knows what he wants me to do and I probably won't know until I get there. That's a difficult thing for me. I'm a planner and organizer. I like to be prepared and make sure I don't miss any details. I sure didn't want to go unprepared and find out later I should have brought something or that after I left I would realize I missed out on an opportunity just because I wasn't prepared. Then God made it clear to me that I should take my leather gloves, wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and bug spray and just go and make myself available.
3. Is there something about the trip that you are apprehensive about that you would like us to pray for?
That changes frequently. I am concerned about having enough energy to keep up with the daily pace, being able to sleep well, about jet lag and being able to acclimate to the humidity and heat. Primarily I want prayer for me to be open to do whatever God asks me to do, even if it doesn't seem like "mission" work. Prayer is also needed for all of us on the Team that as time gets closer, we recognize satan's attacks and turn our focus back to God whenever we get apprehensive about anything.
4. What excites you the most about the Uganda trip?
The unknown, the new experience, and the anticipation of spiritual growth in myself in addition to what God will do for the people of Uganda.
What a fabulous team God has prepared for this mission trip! I'm excited for the blessing your ministry will be for each of you and for the Ugandan people.
ReplyDeleteLoving Emmanuel and Malaika and understanding the great sacrifice their families made for them in the midst of turmoil and terror has left me with a heart breaking for the people of Africa and I am so grateful for each of you and your willingness to minister to them.
Sometimes the best preaching of the gospel doesn't use any words at all!