Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Day At The Cottage

Monday we made a trip to the Amani Baby Cottage. Things had changed a little since last years visit. They had moved kids around to different places and was now utilizing the third floor for the tiny babies. They are housing 52 children between the ages of newborn to five years old. I was really interested to see if the little girl named Josephine that I held last year was still there and she was. I was disappointed to find that she is really different than most of the other children. They said she is very stubborn and won't have anything to do with anyone and very much a loner. I have been wondering since we left what could have happened to make her this way. Last year she was such a happy baby. This year she never smiled and every time I would try to get close to her, she would turn and walk away. I was very sad about that. Another one that stuck out this year is a little boy named Paul. He had only been at the orphanage for a little over a month. They told us he was between three and four years old, but you would never know it by looking at him. We were told that he had been thrown in a room and abandoned with nothing to eat. I'm not sure how he was found or how he ended up at the orphanage, but it was the saddest thing we had ever seen. His picture is below. His arms and legs were so very tiny. I could wrap my index finger and thumb around his leg with lots of room to spare. When I picked him up, I was surprised to find that he was actually heavier than I thought he would be. Jodi sat and held him for a while and when she put him down to leave, he cried very hard. It is so hard to just walk away.

Several of the children had chicken pox and were either covered with scars or were still covered with the actual scabs of the pox. We spent the afternoon outside sitting on a mat, holding and playing with the children. One little boy kept picking flowers and leaves and picking up rocks and grass to put in JoAnn's hand. He made trip after trip. It was so cute. This is a picture of the children playing outside.

This is a picture of Henry who is 6 months old.

This is a picture of Paul, that they are guessing because of his teeth, that he is between 3 and 4 years old.

JoAnn and Gift who is two years old.

Kylee and Nicolas who is two years old.

This is Josephine who is not quite two years old. I had to stand at a distance and zoom in to get a picture of her. She wouldn't let me get close.

Jodi and Paul.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know what you girls are up to. It looks like the guys are making some progress. I am, like you, sure surprised about Josephine. Also, thanks for going to the trouble to post pictures. Keep up the good work, and know you have much prayer support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been anxiously awaiting news about your visit to Amani Baby Cottage but it is so sad to hear that Josephine has withdrawn. There are many unknowns about what goes on in their little lives. Just know that God is using you to touch those precious lives in the short time you are there when you show His love and affection to them. You may never know what a difference it makes for them, but it DOES make a positive impact.

    Did you have an opportunity to find out how we can contact Amani Baby Cottage to make arrangements for Cassie and Megan? We are excited! Pat

    ReplyDelete